Thursday, May 15, 2014

California Chrome, Throat Blister & the Preakness Stakes

May 17, 2014

Dear Readers,

            Over morning coffee, while keeping up on the latest news coming out of Baltimore, I felt I would add an addendum to my Preakness comments.

            The pressure is on for the all members of California Chrome's team. Unlike my team, coming into the Kentucky Derby with Casual Lies, where other than us, nobody thought we had a chance and they weren’t particularly opposed to voicing it. California Chrome came into the Kentucky Derby with a four race win streak, where he didn’t just finish first; he made the rest of field look like cheap claimers jumping up in class to allowance company. The pundits, pulling out all their prejudices against California runners, couldn’t ignore California Chrome, but nonetheless they didn’t want to believe.

            That made the media shark pool a lot easier to handle for Art Sherman. With a shrug of the shoulders and a ready smile, Art could wrap himself in the astounding race record of his charge, and take the high road. Cool and confident…wait and see.

            Now we have a cough. I’ve heard it referred to as Throat-Gate, the reports of a blister on the horse’s throat which was the cause for the cough heard around the world. Horses cough; I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been left to brush wads of partially chewed hay off my blouse after one of my charges has coughed.

            Having said that, I would have been beside myself if Casual Lies had coughed four times as he stepped off the track. This is not good on any level. Every trainer worries about their horse getting an upper respiratory, particularly during a campaign. With the scoping and the blood work, Art and his team know what they are dealing with. They will do what is right for the horse, he is to precious not to.

            But now, let’s just ratchet up the pressure on Art and his crew. If the horse doesn’t win, they will be excoriated, whether or not the blister had anything to do with it. Their hearts will be jumping out of their chests when the field turns for home, and so will mine.

Carry on reading if you haven’t seen my thoughts on today’s field and would like to.

May 15, 2014

Dear Readers,

            The draw for post position is complete and the ten horse field is set for the 139th running of the Preakness Stakes. When there is a prohibitive favorite in a race, I pride myself on looking for the possible amidst the improbable. Today as I peruse each horse, I realize unlikely is the word I keep repeating.

            I can’t pick a horse to win this race, save oneCalifornia Chrome. But it is a horse race and in the face of certainty, lies roughly ten-thousand pounds of horse flesh, each with a mind of his own. There-in lies the uncertainty and that uncertainty is the fodder pundits live for.

            I won’t repeat accolades that have already been extolled ad nauseam from too many keyboards, printed columns and media broadcasts. How many ways can you say California Chrome is fantastic? Since I already have, I will not spend time on a laudatory elucidation extolling all the reasons he is such a nice horse.  

            So who can run second and third or even win?

1.       Dynamic Impact – Ran full out and gamely in the Illinois Derby. Dynamic Impact comes into this race with tactical speed and a willingness to lay off the front runner.  Unlikely. 

2.      General A Rod – He was never in position to make an impact in the boxing match that was this year’s running of the Kentucky Derby. I think this horse will be a lot closer to the front end in this race and he should have no trouble with the tight turns. Nevertheless, Unlikely.

3.      California Chrome – Needs to break well and hopefully he’s sound. I’m a fan. 

4.      Ring Weekend – Looked pretty green in his last race, over correcting at the head of the stretch. The race before, in which he won, he was also sensitive to guidance by the jockey. Should improve. Unlikely. 

5.      Bayern – Didn’t have enough points to get into the Derby, and this may turn out to have been a blessing for him. He’s got speed, lots of it. I don’t see Baffert sending his horse out for a suicidal duel on the front end and he did take the blinkers off. We’ll see if this horse can be rated; because I think that will be the plan. Very interesting.

6.      Ria Antonia – There is no doubt this is a nice filly, but for me this is not the type of filly that can out run colts of this quality. Unlikely.

7.      Kid Cruz – I don’t think I would survive if I owned this horse. Dead last by twenty-five and then he wins? Wow Silky Sullivan reincarnate? You know if there’s a real speed duel on the front end of this race…..hmmm. But… and that is a big but, in the other races Kid Cruz won, the frontend fractions were ridiculously slow. Interesting.

8.     Social Inclusion – This is probably the biggest question mark for me in this race. Clearly an impressive colt, and with only two races under his girth, he takes on the likes of the Grade I Wood Memorial field. In the far outside at the start, his rider asked him straight away to get some position going into the first turn. The colt gets hung out and now that he’s up in the bit, he refused to come back. Head and head he raced around there and opened up down the lane, only to tire in the final eighth of a mile. Huge third place finish against a stellar field, and in a race where he didn’t have the best of racing luck. Very Interesting. 

9.      Pablo Del Monte – Another nice horse, but he needs to learn how to win. Unlikely. 

10.  Ride On Curlin – This horse is almost always in some kind of trouble. But in the end, with only a few exceptions, he makes his presence known. He’s got technical speed and I would argue he runs well when they use it. Still I can’t get behind this horse. Unlikely. 

That brings us to the big reveal…. 

1st California Chrome – Because, even as good as he is, we don’t know how good he’s going to get, and also because I’m a fan. I know he has a few issues, starting gate as number one of those, but I want to see him win. I want the thrill when he surges to the front and I'm reminded what it feels like to see a prohibitive favorite fulfill their promise.  

2nd Social Inclusion – I like that he's fresh coming into this race. I think this colt is definitely one to watch in the fall and in the races leading up to the Breeder’s Cup. 

3rd Bayern – Locked and loaded. Baffert is canny and wily, he’s got a plan. 

4th Kid Cruz – I’m afraid to bet a two dollar combination ticket on this horse, my heart might give out.

I can’t wait for Saturday. What a thrill. 

Take Care,

Shelley Riley author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure

No comments: