Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Review by Daily Racing Form's Mary Simon

May 14, 2014

Dear Readers,

            The Preakness is upon us, but not quite. I'll be taking a look at the entries once the official draw is over and the post positions of all the participants are assigned.

            Meanwhile, I was thrilled to find Mary Simon, of the Daily Racing Form, had read my book and written a review which was posted earlier today.

 
            To have an Eclipse Award winning writer do this, is not only flattering but satisfying. I am both grateful and thankful to her for taking the time to read a self-published book.

            Writing, particularly a memoir, is an isolating process. While delving back into memories, depending on the circumstances, the chronicler can find themselves caught up on a bumpy and emotional adventure. Recollections can bring with them a broad spectrum of emotions. Tears of joy, or wonder and even regret flow more easily with each page that is written.  

            As the tears pass and the wonder builds, there is a cathartic metamorphosis that takes the writer to the place where they realize and appreciate, how blessed they were to have lived through the experience.  

            For one-hundred days after my sister’s bone marrow transplant, I was her primary care giver as she struggled to live. It was both heartbreaking and stressful. Only years after her death did I realize how blessed I’d been to have those days with her.

            One-hundred days, just her and me together as we fought a common enemy. I had one-hundred days with her, and where we dreamed of a future in which she had a disease-free future. Instead of a call in the night, or a knock on the door, I had one-hundred days to say goodbye.

            In writing about Casual Lies, I give the readers a peek behind the NBC cameras and a chance to read words never spoken. Once again, as the pages filled with words, I found myself at that same point of metamorphosis. Disappointment, heartbreak, and the stressful faded into the background while the wonder and joy came to the forefront. Stanley never watched a telecast, nor did he read a news story, people weren’t there to hurt him, they were there to entertain. I’ll never forget those bright inquisitive eyes.

            I will post my thoughts tomorrow on the Preakness Stakes. But boy howdy, it sure does look good for the pretty chestnut.

Take care,

Shelley Riley author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure

No comments: