Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sham Stakes - Santa Anita

January 10, 2015

Dear Readers,

Here we go, the first three-year-old race in California that offers qualifying points for  May’s Kentucky Derby. The (GIII) Sham Stakes at Santa Anita Park.

Some very strange monikers, but I know how difficult it is to get a name approved for your horse. We all know a good horse makes for a good name. Here is the field:

1.       St. Joe Bay:   After breaking his maiden in a brilliant manner, by 10 ½ lengths, he's been close in his next two races, but not close enough.

2.      Pioneerof The West:    I don’t know what to make of that last race. Maybe he didn’t like the surface.  He ought to be fit, he’s run five times since August.

3.      Rockinatten:    I like this horse’s chart and I suspect he’s been brought in from Florida to avoid some big guns lining up for the Florida prep races.

4.      Unblunted:   This horse got packed wide in the Gold Rush in the first turn, and he looked rank once he straightened out down the backside. Then packed out on the final turn, he didn’t have anything left for a stretch run. I don’t know what to think of this horse. His post position should help him a lot.

5.      Rock Shandy:   Ran an even race in the Cecil B. Demille, you have to respect this horse.

6.      Papacoolpapacool:  Would be a surprise.

7.      Calculator:  He’s been chasing a good one, and he would seem to be the obvious choice. Having said that, there’s been a bit of time between races. I think that could make this race more of a challenge than the form would suggest, and even with that great work he posted.

8.     Hero Ten All: Two races under his belt and both were nicely done. Maybe a little green in both races. Should improve with practice. 
 

This should be a fun race to watch, I don’t think I would spend a lot of money. Maybe a small flutter on Rockinatten, and an exacta using him and Calculator. If I really felt flush and had money to spare, I would buy a Tri-fecta using Rockinatten, Calculator and Unblunted. But mostly I think this is a good one to keep my money in my pocket and root for my favorite, which would be Rockinatten. 

Take care,

Shelley Riley, Author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure, and For Want of a Horse – A Short Story Collection.

No comments: