Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lecomte Stakes

January 17, 2015

Dear Readers,
 Saturday, it must be time for another Kentucky Derby prep race. After the Sham I needed to sharpen my pencil, and to that end I’ve spent the morning looking over the entries for today’s (GIII) Lecomte Stakes at the Fair Grounds in Louisiana.  
1.                  International Star – No doubt a nice colt, but Eagle beat him pretty handily in the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes in November. Unless the time off between races has helped him, I don’t see him beating Eagle in this race.

2.                 Tiznow R J – Yikes, did you see how far this guy won by in his last start? Admittedly it looked like a bumper car race behind him. Nonetheless he’s lightly raced and appears to have found his footing. Can’t ignore him.

3.                 Four Leaf Chief – I admit I’m scratching my head over this one. He wins a stakes race, impressively, and then comes back in an allowance-optional claiming and runs like a wild March hare. Strange.

4.                 War Story – Two starts, two wins, and both times he looked to be running green. No reason he shouldn’t improve with racing.

5.                 Hero of Humor – If you can’t say anything nice… This horse was 87-1 in his last out and he beat one horse. He would be a surprise.

6.                 Savoy Stomp – With only three starts, and one of those a dismal run on an off track, I can’t get excited about this horse. Granted he has big time connections and he cost a lot of money…

7.                 Runhappy – I like the name. Even though he ran very green, it was an impressive first start. Why not run him in this race?

8.                Killingit – Form on this colt was looking good and then there was that last race as a prohibitive favorite.

9.                 Dekabrist – This horse fills lots of races. I don’t think he belongs in here, but then stranger things have happened.

10.            Another Lemon Drop – I can’t make a case for this horse not running in this race, considering some of the others, but at the same time I can’t make a case for him winning it either.

11.               Eagle – This colt was impressive in his first out going five furlongs, and probably needed the second race where he finished second. In the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes, he had to find running room late and when he did he was impressive. 

I have to go with the probable favorite in this race, and that looks like it will be Eagle. In his last race he looked like the real deal.
I also like War Story to feel brave off his two starts and his two wins. He’s got to be getting smarter with running.
Pretty much the same sentiments when it comes to Runhappy.
And then there’s Tiznow R J with that impressive win in his last start.
This is going to be a fun race to watch.
Take care,
Shelley Riley
Check out my latest book; For Want of a Horse – A Short Story Collection
 
 
 
 

No comments: