Thursday, March 20, 2014

Rough Riders in the Rebel



March 21, 2014
Dear Readers,

            I took a long look at the Rebel Stakes, and I repeatedly hit rewind in order to watch the brouhaha going on in the stretch run from several angles. By the way, the pin ball action all started at the top of the stretch when Tapiture’s jockey chose to put it all on the line, running up on Strong Mandate’s heels and pushed Hoppertunity out of his way in order to find clear running room. My heart was in my throat, if he’d clipped heels, Tapiture could have gone down. I’ve seen back tendons severed in similar situations. I hope Strong Mandate is all right.

            There is no doubt that Hoppertunity smacked into Tapiture, who then slammed into Strong Mandate. I think the stewards must have agreed that the move Tapiture made at the head of the stretch was just as egregious as the one Hoppertunity made further down the lane. Thus, the one cancelled out the other. But what about poor old Strong Mandate, minding his own business, running a strong race, when he was mugged, both by Hoppertunity and Tapiture. Strong Mandate wasn’t out of contention when they started fouling him.

Since I’m entitled to voice my opinion, I felt both horses that fouled Strong Mandate should have been disqualified and placed behind him. Thus, if I was the one making the call, the order of finish would have had Ride On Curlin winning the race, with Strong Mandate second.

            That’s not the case, and not what happened, so we'll never know if Strong Mandate would have hung on and made a race of it all the way to the wire. All we can do is look ahead and use this race to gauge his chances in future races. I like all four of those horses and its always unfortunate when a race, as important as the Rebel, ends up a stewards call. I don't envy them their job. You can't please all the people...yadda yadda.

            I have a busy schedule tomorrow, but I will try to get around to looking over this weekend’s two big races, the Spiral and the Sunland Derby.

Take care,
Shelley Lee Riley, author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure

No comments: