Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Black Caviar's Half-brother Jimmy

November 20, 2013

Dear Readers,

                I was reading a LinkedIn comment and discovered Black Caviar’s half-brother, who was bought by BC3 Thoroughbred for $5,000,000 at the Australian Easter yearling sales in April of this year, was fighting for his life after being bitten by a white-tailed spider.

                Like so many people around the world, I’m enamored with Black Caviar, and thus curious about her half-brother. I can relate on several levels with this story. I came very close to losing Casual Lies to an injection site abscess, and though he survived, he was never quite the same. Also, if you’ve read my book about Casual Lies, you will know he was truly a horse with two names. The world knew him as Stanley as well as Casual Lies.  Black Caviar’s half-brother is affectionately known as Jimmy, and by all reports he has a terrific personality and has earned the love of all those who work with him.

                All trainers are familiar with laminitis, but before I talk about this condition, I want to say something about the arachnid that constituted the causal part of Jimmy’s life threatening circumstances.   

                Everywhere we go in this world there are critters that can harm us. But it seems to me, with all due respect, Australia has more than its fair share. Either on the landmass or in the waters in and around Australia, there are things that can sting, bite, kick, trample, tear you apart, eat chunks of your body or completely consume you, leaving no trace behind.

                But of all the oogly boogly’s that walk, fly or swim on this planet, snakes and spider’s scare me the most. Hang on, let me clarify, I don’t like snakes, I have great respect for snakes and I avoid them. However I must confess I have a curiosity about snakes, and if I can do so safely I will look at them. Spiders on the other hand, give me the creeps, I have no desire to look at them or observe them. If there is one on my ceiling at night, I can’t turn off the light as long as it’s still there. My imagination has it prepared to attack me in my sleep. So I get up carefully, watching it at all times, lest the eight legged warrior drops down from his perch on high to commence hostilities. Once I’m clear of the combat zone, I go get the vacuum, the one with the magic spider wand and suck him right off the ceiling. I then put the vacuum in the garage, in case it survived the suction, I wouldn’t want to think it might crawl out and seek revenge.

                Medium in size, the white-tailed spider is recognizable for the white patch at the end of its body. It doesn’t spin a web and wait for its dinner; it actively seeks out its prey. So this eight legged hunter goes on walkabout every evening, searching out its sustenance. On these walkabouts it gets into the homes of Australians and into their stuffcloths, beds and so forth. When surprisedit bites.

                Though necrosis and ulcers have been attributed to the white-tail spider, research does not confirm this, and in-fact quite the opposite is true. The bite can be nasty and certainly could result in an infection, but on its own should not threaten a life, particularly the life of an animal as big as Jimmy. The reports are that the treatment, used to avoid infection, triggered an allergic reaction and this has caused the complications that have resulted in Jimmy being afflicted with a debilitating case of laminitis.

                Laminitisthere is a very good article about Laminitis (founder) and its causes and the damage that can result once it’s started. I urge you to do a web search and read about it. The long and the short, is that if there is irreversible damage to Jimmy’s hoofs, his racing career is over before it started. I’m sure at this point the number one outcome is the preservation of his life. If the damage is too severe, he won’t be able to survive without unbearable pain. My prayers are with Jimmy recovering a pain free life. I will be keeping a close watch on the news sources that are reporting on his progress. The latest news reports I have seen, advise he is stabilizing.

Take care,
Shelley Riley
Author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure

No comments: