Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" Challenge Series Race Recaps

September 3, 2013

Dear Readers,

    I wanted to get back to my reviews of the Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” Challenge Series today. First up for today is the July 6th  Smile Sprint Handicap, a Gr. II six furlong race which was run over the dirt surface at Calder Race Course in Florida. The winner was, Bahamian Squall, a four-year-old brown colt by Gone West and out of the Storm Bird mare Midway Squall.

    Bahamian Squall broke well and was then rated by his jockey, settling off the leaders but well within striking distance on the outside. Down the lane it looked like he was holding his stride while others faltered, and so he passed tiring horses. Bahamian Squall won by over a length, but the time was slow for horses of this quality. I did see a lot of dirt flying, so the track could have been cuppy, which will slow any race down. Never the less, I don’t feel like this was an impressive race against his peers. Though his connections may bring him to the Breeders’Cup, I won’t be including Bahamian Squall in my choices on the day, that is unless he comes back and runs a huge race in between.
 


     Next up for today would be the United Nations Stakes, also run on July 6th  only at Monmouth Race Course in New Jersey. The United Nations is a GR. I turf race, and run at the distance of one mile and three-eighths. The race was won by Big Blue Kitten, a brown five-year-old colt by Kitten’s Gold and out of the Unaccounted mare Spent Gold.

     Big Blue Kitten was rated early by jockey Joe Bravo, as Joel Rosario on Little Mike and Gary Stevens on Skyring duked it out on the front end.

     Bravo boldly jumped Little Mike’s heels twice with Big Blue Kitten, in order to find the opening he would need to get his mount through on the rail. Once they were clear, Big Blue Kitten was hard pressed to gain the lead from Teaks North. Though Big Blue Kitten won the race by over a length, it wasn’t done in such a manner that would get me to choose him over my other choices for Breeders’ Cup day. I did note one other thing, Big Blue Kitten didn’t seem to like a lot of whipping…I’m just saying. Watch the replay nearing the wire and you’ll see the tail pop, one big and several small. 
Horse name
Note on the picture. Yes that is blood showing on his mouth, and in all likelihood he bit his tongue or he needs his teeth worked on and he cut the inside of his mouth on a ragged tooth. I think I see a tongue tie, so my bet is on his having bit his tongue. No blood coming out of his nose, and that is what you don't want to see.
    And the last race I'll talk about today, is the A Gleam Handicap, Gr. II and seven furlongs exclusively for fillies and mares that ran on the dirt at Hollywood Park July 13th. The race was won by the four-year-old filly Book Review, a chestnut daughter of Giant’s Causeway and out of the Distorted Humor mare, Clever Babe.
 
   What I can say about the five horse field, is everybody broke well and two horses quickly pulled clear of the other three to cruise along on the front end. Book Review had her head stuck up in the air and looked as though her rider, Rafael Bejarano, had a huge hold on her and was fighting her to keep her from running off.
 
     However as I watched the race, I realized what a rough running filly this is. My late husband Jim Riley, who was a jockey for many years, would have said Book Review was “rough-as-a-cob,” a rather colorful jockey's euphemism for a less than graceful runner. Her head was up in the air, not because her jocky had a tight hold on her, but because that's how she carries it.
 
But who cares if Book Review is stobbing her legs in the ground like four telephone poles with each stride? She won and she won impressively. I’ll reserve my opinion on her chances going into the Breeders’ Cup, at least until I see who will be competing with her for the Breeders’ Cup title.
 
Book Review and Rafael Bejarano win the Grade II $200,000 A Gleam Handicap Saturday, July 13, 2013 at Betfair Hollywood Park, Inglewood, CA.  The 4-year-old daughter of Giant's Causeway is owned by Gary and Mary West and trained by Bob Baffert.


Ok that’s it for today. I will post chapter five in my fiction novel next. I have been asked to put all five in order next time I post; does anybody have an opinion on that?
 
Take care,
Shelley Riley
Author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure. Check it out on Amazon, where you can read a pretty extensive preview. You can also check it out, along with a photo gallery on my website www.shelleyriley.com



No comments: