Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rain for the Belmont Stakes – Oh My!


Rain for the Belmont Stakes – Oh My!
June 6, 2013
Dear Readers,
    Rain for the day before the big day? Sounds like lyrics for a song, and this song has been playing all through this Triple Crown season. Handicapping horses to run on an off track is hard enough, add three different surfaces to the equation and it gets to be an arduous exercise indeed.
    As a trainer, I would be out on the rail watching the races on the day in question, to get a feel for both the speed and pace that I would want my horse to show. I would hope the jockey riding my horse, would either be riding in an earlier race or talking to the riders who were. No better way to find out how the track is playing, than from the folks playing on it.
   Thus, here I will sit, without that information and out of sentiment, hope the girl and the filly wins.
   Hope and sentiment aside, I suppose I would have to include Orb and Freedom Child in a Tri-fecta. Both horses have run huge races on off tracks. But since I won’t be standing on the rail, I think I would be best served to spend my Tri-fecta money on a facial.
   Here’s hoping for clear skies, a safe race and girl power. Check back for further comments on the Breeder’s Cup Challenge series. I am having so much fun looking into the racing that goes on around the world. With the pictures available of the venues hosting them, I feel like I am on the Grand Tour of horse racing.
Take care,
Shelley Riley
www.shelleyriley.com

No comments: