Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Day After

September 6, 2020

The day after the Kentucky Derby and overall, the race itself was uneventful. It looked to me like the best horse, on the day, won. There were no big excuses for the favorite, Tiz the Law. He ran a terrific race, and other than a little bobble down the lane, he just got outrun.

Nothing wrong with second. No really. I should know. Still, I have to admit, first is way better. Let me reiterate, in a country where winning is everything? I don't care, second in a race of that caliber is nothing to sneeze at.

For me, the days most remarkable events happened before the race and right after. Thousand Words, flipping in the saddling paddock and taking out Bob Baffert's assistant trainer, Jimmy Barnes—breaking his arm? That was one scary incident. And if that wasn't enough to tell you how dangerous racehorses can be, there was the scramble for life and limb in the winner's circle afterward.

Truth be told, I have always held my breath when the flower garlands are thrown over the winning horse's withers. This is not something horses are trained to expect. Saddles, blankets, jockeys, yes. A massive carpet of flowers, no.

Fortunately, no one looked to be seriously injured in the veritable lawn bowling incident that went down in the confines of the winners'circle. Stuffing that many people into a small space with a volatile thoroughbred is just asking for it. The outcome could have been so much worse.

My hat is really off for Bob's crew and, in particular, the groom who was handling Thousand Words. When the colt flipped, it was definitely not the groom's fault. I replayed the incident several times, and the handler didn't lock up on the lead shank, which would have guaranteed the colt would go on over. By his hold on the colt's head, he gave Thousand Words every opportunity to change his mind. At the same time, the groom didn't lose his hold on the end of the shank. A loose horse running around the saddling paddock? Yeah, not something you want to see at any time.

Finally, Honor A.P. What a flashback in time for me. My biggest nemesis in 1992 was A.P. Indy. The similarities in the way Honor A.P. runs, at least yesterday, and his grandsire was striking. While not as heavy headed as Indy, the awkward, heavy-front-end running style was. And let's don't forget how Indy loved to come from way off the pace.

So, I don't know if it was the rough start Honor A.P. got or if this is his usual running style, but I thought he was super courageous. To come from last, circle the field on the outside, and then grind it out down the lane to finish fourth, impressive.

Take care,
Shelley Lee Riley, author of Casual Lies - A Triple Crown Adventure
and now, just released, a YA fantasy novel, Into Madness

No comments: