Saturday, January 3, 2015

For Want of a Horse

January 3, 2015

Dear Readers,

2015? Wow, I'm glad I made it. When I was a kid, I spent a remarkable amount of time considering longevity. Of course in those days the average life expectancy was sixty-five, and now it’s closer to eighty.

An avid reader of science fiction by the time I was ten. I was able to read Ray Bradbury’s Farenheit 451 before it underwent expurgation by Ballantine Books. 

The Twilight Zone with Rod Serling, when it first began in 1959, became a TV must-see each week. I watched movies like the Blob, Vincent Price in the Tingler, Invasion of the Body Snatcher’s, The Angry Red Planet, I could go on and on. But the bottom line, was that I often pondered what each decade would bring, and more importantly would I live to see the wonders that humanity could discover.

I counted fifty-five years ahead and wondered what I would see if I lived that long. Now it is fifty-five years ahead, 2015 has come and I’ve seen it…and all the marvels that have come with the passage of those fifty-five years.  

I certainly don’t think in fifty-five year increments anymore. I’m left to wonder about the future in more modest terms. One year? Five? Twenty-five?  I’ve lived long enough to appreciate each new day. It's a blessing to wake up and discover every part of my body still works, more or less, as intended.

So here’s to another day and another year. I hope 2015 is a good one, and I’m looking forward to enjoying another New Year’s Eve that will herald in 2016.

I’m happy to announce For Want of a Horse has been published, and is now available on Amazon, both in a paperback and digital format. The book is a collection of Thoroughbred short stories, which I’ve written over the last year. It’s an eclectic assortment, which includes several genres; contemporary, historical, and even a fantasy. 
 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I hope you enjoy it. I’m deep into my next novel, Defiant, and that should be ready for publication this spring. You’ll find a sneak peek is included in For Want of a Horse.
Take care,
Shelley Riley, Author of the International multiple award-winning Casual Lies - A Triple Crown Adventure.
Here is the url to paperback edition of For Want of a Horse;
Here is the url to the digital version of For Want of a Horse;

No comments: