Friday, May 23, 2014

California Chrome's Pretty Story

May 23, 2014

Dear Readers,

            I’ve been working diligently on my latest short story, one of many that I plan to include in a collection that’ll be published later this fall. I took a few minutes out to Google the latest news on California Chrome. Unfortunately the first article on offer was the rant pinned by Gregg Doyal on cbssport.com who proclaimed he was trying to be fair, even though he said he was firmly entrenched on the side of those who would like to see the sport eliminated. With that caveat, does anyone reading the article really expect unbiased?

            I carefully read every word and found the usual, “death and destruction, cruelty and slaughter, discarded commodities,” peppered with hackneyed cliché’s like, “the sound of one hand clapping.”

            Okay, so he filled his column, and earned his paycheck. I don’t want to get embroiled in the decade’s old debate about sports, of any kind, and medications or performance enhancing drugs. But what I will do is offer up this link.


            Produced by the Blood-Horse, this video says far more than I can to clean the rust off the old saw espoused in Gregg Doyal’s rant. I urge you to watch this video and I defy you to finish the piece without feeling at least one smile curve your lips.

I love Horse Racing,

Shelley Lee Riley, author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure

No comments: