Thursday, April 3, 2014

California Chrome and the Santa Anita Derby

April 3, 2014

Dear Readers,

            Oh boy, now I get to talk about a race I’ve had first-hand experience with. The (GI) Santa Anita Derby. Take a moment and think about some of the horses who have graced the Santa Anita course over the years. How about in 1992, where the first three finishers were A.P. Indy, Bertrando and Casual Lies?

            This Saturday there will be eight horses contesting the one-mile and one-eighth distance. There are always surprises in horse racing. Even the really big and prestigious races like the Santa Anita Derby and the Kentucky Derby, are not immune to an upset victory by a horse that had everybody scratching their heads when they saw his name come out on the overnight.

            We all know how favors can be called in, and arms twisted to get another entry to fill an important race. I think there might be a sore elbow or two in the barn area at Santa Anita today. But then again, back in 1992, they were scratching their heads over my horse.

So here are my thoughts.

1.      Rprettyboyfloyd – You know, this is a nice colt. The distance will help him, if not the company. But in all truth, he’s one win away from being a serious contender in some interesting races. This is a mean bunch to try to show that though. Blinkers on might make it more interesting.

2.      Friendswith K Mill – Would be a surprise.

3.      Hoppertunity – He could end up the speed in this race. Note that he ran behind Rprettyboyfloyd and Hoppertunity does seem to fire every other time. A rather disturbing pattern.

4.      Big Tire – Well he broke his maiden and he does look to be improving. But this is a big jump.

5.      California Chrome – He’s been known to throw a clinker, but it looks like he forgot how. I love the way this horse moves. He wins off by so far that you can’t really tell what he will do if he gets hooked in the last eighth of a mile. To me, he doesn’t look like he gets out of a high gallop, at least for him, once he gets in front. I’m a big fan, but those clinkers?

6.      Candy Boy – This horse is definitely a contender.

7.      Schoolofhardrocks – Would be surprise. But he is a nice colt.

8.     Dublin Up – He could show some speed, but I think it would be a big mistake. 

            So who do I think will win? Well it seems so obvious that it bothers me. And yet, I would love to see California Chrome win. This race is going to be tougher than anything he’s run in before, no doubt about it. But I can’t bet against a horse that wins like this horse has been winning. However, there are still those pesky clinkers he’s thrown in the distant past. 
 
            I don’t like to bet on runaway favorites, so I would put my money; win, place and show on Candy Boy. Then I would sit back and enjoy the big day, and recall the memories of people climbing to the top of the light standards to scream “Come on Stanley.” 

Take care,

Shelley Lee Riley, author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure, finalist in the Castleton Lyon Dr. Tony Ryan Award.


 

           

No comments: