Monday, October 14, 2013

I Love Novellist

October 14, 2013

Dear Readers,
            I didn’t expect to see Novellist when I Googled Longines Grosser Preis Von Baden, a Group I race, going 1 ½ mile and run over the turf course at Iffezheim Racecourse.  I’ve told you how much I love this horse in the past. Well let me reiterate, I Love this horse.
            What’s not to love? Big, bold, a beautiful stride and so dark in color he’s nearly black. Novellist looms large wherever he’s placed, in front or in the pack. After this race I love him even more.
            Pundits have said Novellist didn’t go off and leave the other horses in his dust and thus the race was less than impressive. I beg to differ. I don’t think he cared for the going; the turf was soft, really soft. The horses were bogging down nearly to their ankles. And since the jockeys kept their mounts off the rail and angled out even more down the lane, I suspect the going was firmer on the outside, though I couldn’t see that it was.
            Being much the best, and embarrassing your opponents is one thing, getting hooked on the front end, stride for stride, backing off, and then coming back to out-finish the field with grit and determination is very impressive to me.




The Grandstand at Iffezheim Racetrack in Baden-Baden Germany.

          Founded in 1858 by Frenchman Edouard Benazet, Iffezheim is located near the Spa town of Baden-Baden in Germany. A favorite of the aristocrats, Baden-Baden was the destination of choice for the summer months in the 19th century. Iffezheim soon became the leading racetrack in Germany.

            Reading the latest news on Novellist, I see he was scratched from the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Fr- I). Reportedly he spiked a temperature. I just hope he didn’t get hurt in the deep going at Iffezheim. If he did, we probably won’t see him for awhile, if he didn’t, I can’t wait to see him run again. Love, love, love this horse.
Photo Liesl King
           If anybody knows what's going on with this horse, drop me a line and fill me in, here or at www.shelleyriley.com.  I will take a look at a few more races tomorrow.
Take care,
Shelley Riley
Author of Casual Lies - A Triple Crown Adventure



No comments: