Thursday, October 31, 2013

Breeders' Cup Marathon 2013

October 31, 2013

Dear Readers,

            I’ve been busy writing short stories, entering writing competitions and getting ready for my trip to Kentucky. I really wanted to finish up on the “Win and Your In Series,” but unfortunately recapping them takes me away from creating my short stories that need to be finished. Hopefully I will have a collection ready to publish in the next few months. I’ll let you know when it’s ready for publication.

            So now the time has come, the horses are gathered and the parties are in full swing. The Breeders’ Cup Extravaganza is upon us. I’m going to try to get through all the entries and pick the horses I would bet if I were there on the day. Maybe I’ll go over to the simulcast and spend some time with Dennis Miller on Friday.

First up Breeders’ Cup Marathon

1                      Old Time Hockey – Consistent stalker, probably won’t get up in time to win.

2                    Cease – I’m not sure what this horse is doing in this race. He’s a nice horse, but unless the front end collapses I don’t see him being a threat.

3                    Commander – Another horse who is reaching for the stars, he looks as though he could show some speed, but I doubt this would benefit him.

4                    Ever Rider – I have always been partial to a roan, and this one is a beauty. But this race isn’t about being pretty. He will be coming at the end and I think he will be scaring the front runners as he unleashes down the lane.

5                     Suns Out Guns Out – I’m scratching my head over this horse, sometimes he shows some speed, sometimes he doesn’t. They have run him a lot and he never embarrasses them, but he seldom wins either.

6                    Indian Jones – If you bet on this horse, your heart will be in your throat as the field pounds down the lane. He loves to come from way off the pace.

7                     London Bridge – I have no opinion of this horse. He was brought a long way, to not make a good showing, so I couldn’t rule him out.

8                    Blueskiesnrainbows – Okay, here’s the speed. Trouble is you never know with this horse. If he gets hooked he can run a really bad race, but then sometimes he hangs real tough. Which horse shows up for this race?

9                    Pool Play – Once upon a time this was a really nice horse. But I don’t see him winning this race. But you never know, today could be the day he remembers when…

10                Worldly -  Not all sons of A.P. Indy are world beater’s.  

This is a really tough race to pick a sure thing. I would probably be satisfied to sit in my seat and enjoy watching the race, and be thrilled for whoever wins. But if somebody gave me two dollars to bet, I would vacillate back and forth and then place it to win on Ever Rider. 

I hope to see the finish in the following order.

1                    Ever Rider
2                   Indian Jones
3                   Blueskiesnrainbows 

Check back later, I’m working on the Juvenile Turf. 

Take care,
Shelley Riley
www.shelleyriley.com

No comments: