Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cross Traffic Wins The Whitney Handicap

September 22, 2013

Dear Readers,

            I’m back to the races and continuing my reviews on the Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” Challenge Series of races. Today the extremely prestigious Whitney Handicap, a Grade I event contested at one mile and one eighth over the dirt surface at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs New York.


File:SaratogaRaceCourseEntrance2.JPG
Saratoga Race Course Entrance Gate.

          Located near the site of the popular mineral springs, The Spa, became the most notable of nicknames for the Saratoga Race Course. As early as 1847 standardbred harness racing was taking place at the venue and in 1863, barely one month after the infamous Battle of Gettysburg, the first thoroughbred race card was organized.


File:SaratogaRaceTrack1907.JPG
Saratoga Race Course Grandstand as it looked in 1907.

The history of the Saratoga Springs area is so rich and so varied; it makes for endless hours of entertaining research. I literally got so sidetracked from my goal, of writing this blog that I had to pull myself away. I urge you to use whichever search engine you prefer and put in Saratoga Springs. Be forewarned each click of the mouse opens myriad avenues to explore, and as each page opens with captivating bits of history, you get drug ever deeper into the endless adventure.

            As to the original subject of this posting, The Whitney was run for the first time in 1928. This year’s race boasted a talented field of eight. Second choice in the wagering was the lightly raced son of Unbridled’s Song, Cross Traffic. In only five lifetime start, this talented colt has raced in three Graded races in a row. Unraced until this year, Cross Traffic broke his maiden in his first outing in Florida. He followed that win up with a decisive first place finish in an Allowance-Optional Claiming race, price: $25,000.

            For those of you not familiar with this term, it is fairly simple, while at the same time somewhat complicated. Basically you can run in an Allowance-Optional Claiming race as long as you’ve run at or below the claiming level listed in the conditions. So in this case they would have had to risk their horse being claimed for $25,000 or less at some time, while at the same time not won for a higher claiming price, or in an Alowance or Stake race. Though not the same as Starter Allowance their are similarities. 

            Claiming races mean any horse running in a race with this designation could be claimed out of the race by any licensed owner, who puts his money up, and drops the claim in the claim box thirty minutes before the gate opens. In the not to distant past, it used to be once the gate opened, win, lose or even if the horse broke down, he then belonged to the person who'd dropped the claim. Well…unless they spelled the name wrong on the claim slip. But there have been some rule changes. In a few states, to cover those horses that needed to be vanned off the track or came up lame soon after, claims can be voided.

            So in the Allowance-Optional Claiming race, the horse can be entered to run for the designated claiming price and carry less weight than those who don’t run for the claiming price. Simple, right?

            Since Cross Traffic ran in one of those races, though not for the claiming price, it seems quite impressive that he wins the Whitney three races later, and in his first year of racing to boot. I thought he still looked green, particularly when he ducked sharply after getting hit with the whip. But this was his first time going a mile and an eighth; he could and did look like he was getting tired, which might explain it. I would say Cross Traffic’s connections have a lot of fun ahead of them. Stay sound my friend.
 
Pletcher Targets Woodward with Cross Traffic
Photo by Coglianese Photo's

             Next time I will try to pick one of the books I've read lately, and write a short review on it. If you have a favorite, drop me an email and let me know. If I haven’t read it, I will consider reading itthat is if the subject matter appeals to me. There are some things I just won’t read.

            I have Mark Leibovich’s book This Town sitting on my shelf, but I’m not sure I want to talk politics on this blog. Friendly, soft spoken and rational people, can so quickly do a one eighty and thus for that reason, among others, I prefer to keep away from the subject.

Take care,

Shelley Riley
Author of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure


No comments: