Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review of The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker

August 6, 2013

Dear Readers,

I’ve been reading more than writing lately. Can’t seem to inspire myself to sit down and be creative, so I read, and the only writing I do is for reviews. To that end I have added several reviews to Goodreads and Amazon.

A review of Ted Dekker’s The Bride Collector is included today.

I picked up a copy of Ted Dekker’s The Bride Collector because it was a hard copy, and it was on sale for $6.98. I love a bargain, almost as much as I like a good read, and as stories go this one was ok. It was a cross between a thriller and a mystery, and with a little romance thrown in. Unfortunately the characters’ weren't entirely believable for me, not enough to stop reading the book, but enough that it didn’t sit well with me either.

Quite frankly I think Mr. Dekker should have taken the story into the realm of science fiction, or even fantasy and embraced it wholeheartedly. The character of Paradise was crafted to be special but flawed, and she was, but she could have been so much more. If Paradise’s talents had transcended the bounds of normalcy, then for me, the story would have jelled, become more believable and a really good read. After all, as sci-fi and fantasy readers, aren’t we asked to suspend our believe system so we can enjoy the fertile imagination of the author?

Other reviews have referred to Mr. Dekker as an author of Christian fiction, something I wasn’t aware of, and in my opinion this book is definitely not Christian fiction. There are references to god and to religion, but I didn’t think spiritual awareness was a main driver in this book.

I would buy another Ted Dekker book…if it was on sale.

Thank you for reading and I will be taking a look at the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, another Breeders Cup “Win and You’re In” Challenge Series race.

Take care,
Shelley Riley
www.shelleyriley.com

No comments: