Sunday, May 5, 2013

Orb Wins the Kentucky Derby―the Right Way


And Then It Was The Day After….
May 5th, 2013

Dear Readers,
Fortunately there was a television monitor, which was set up right behind the table where I sat at Pleasanton California’s spacious simulcast facility yesterday. Thus enabling me to answer questions, sign copies of Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure and at the same time keep an eye on the upcoming Kentucky Derby. After all I did need to support my picks from Fridays blog post; Revolutionary, Mylute and for sentimental reasons the lone California horse Goldencents, though I was unsure he would like an off track. 
Paula Chinick, the president of the Tri-Valley Writers Group and half owner of our thirty dollar Tri-fecta investment, held it clutched in her hand as the horses paraded in front of the grandstand.
I pointed out the condition of the track as we watched the cameramen, who were shadowing the runners as they walked along in the post parade. Neither the feet of the men, nor the hoofs of the horses were sinking away in the obviously wet track.
The trackman had done a terrific job in tightening down the racing surface in anticipation of the foul weather. In fact he’d done so well, from where I sat watching the monitor, it looked to be hard and fast, with an inch or two of soil that could be compared to the consistency of a Frappuccino from Starbucks. Every horse and rider would look the same come the end of the race, brown on brown. Well unless someone went wire-to-wire, unlikely in a field of this quality.
Have you ever seen stucco sprayed on a wall? This is what those horses and riders were going to face with seventy-six hoofs splashing up the muck, as they navigated the distance.
As my first husband was a jockey, he’d often related how difficult it was to see riding in the conditions the jockey’s faced yesterday. Jim would put six to nine sets of goggles on, depending on how long the race was. He would carefully layer them with a piece of saran wrap in between each set, so when he pulled one down, he would have clarity for one blink of the eye before the splash obscured his vision once again.
When the consistency of the mud is that sloppy, it gets everywhere, in your nose, ears, mouth…and despite the gogglesin your eyes. Think of the horse though, no goggles and no way to shield those wide open nostrils sucking in great volumes of airlaced with dirt and moisture.
There will certainly be some form reversals going from this race into the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico, but it looks like those taking on Orb better have their game faces on, because this horse just keeps getting it right and he doesn’t seem to care what condition the track is in, nor how fast the pace they set. He ran the race the right way, no excuses, he was, simply put, much the best horse on May 4th, 2013.
My hats off to Joel Rosario for taking it in the face and finding a safe passage through for his mount. Congratulations to Shug  McGaughey for putting the elusive Kentucky Derby win onto his already impressive resume. What a thrill for the owners of this horse, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a big Triple Crown thrill ride.
As for my long shot flutter? Not so bad, Revolutionary was third and Mylute was fifth. But I don’t think I will be betting against Orb anytime soon. I may invest in an exacta ticket or two, coupled with Orb, if either of my pick comes back in the Preakness.
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to check out my website www.shelleyriley.com I will keep updating the news and upcoming events page. You can also contact me through the website.
Take care,
Shelley Riley

No comments: