Thursday, April 11, 2013

Goldenscents and Rick Pitino


April 11, 2013
Dear Readers,
     Time is ticking down to the Kentucky Derby and I still can’t pick my favorite. Since I was watching the Santa Anita Derby and saw the impressive performance put in by Goldencents. I naturally felt the need to tune in for the 2013 NCAA Men’s division 1 Basketball Championship.
Coached by Rick Pitino partial owner of Goldencents, it was even more exciting to watch the University of Louisville Cardinals win the Championship. Talk about golden, if Goldencents should win the Kentucky Derby for his team of owners, perhaps we should add Midas to Rick’s name.
As regards Goldencents, chart lovers have got to be in love, particularly with only one head scratching result. Since that race, Goldencents has left very little doubt he should be one of the favorites for the Kentucky Derby. Keep in mind with the kind of speed Goldencents has shown, he should be able to keep himself in contention, while leaving the tumult of a large field behind. I am looking forward to following this colts training and hope he likes the Churchill downs surface as much as Casual Lies did.
On the memoir front, some great reviews coming in. I am chuffed, to say the least, to touch people emotionally, while entertaining them is a great reward for all the hard work. I will start sharing portions of these reviews with you on the blog, so keep a look out. Or you can go to Amazon and read them yourself. For your convenience here is the link to “Casual Lies – A Triple Crown Adventure.”  http://www.amazon.com/dp/1482679248   
Take care,
Shelley Riley

2 comments:

Fay Lyn Mowry said...

My interest in racing began with last year's Oaks and Derby and watching Rosie Napravnik win on Believe You Can. I picked the horse because of it's name and because Rosie was riding. This year I will be actually sitting in the grandstands and watching for her.

Shelley Riley said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. I frequently picked female jockey’s to ride certain horses in my stable. Both Jane Driggers and Monica Stanley won races for me on the Northern California fair circuit. I share a story in the memoir about Monica Stanley; she rode a filly for me named Miss Classy Ana, Classy’s nerves more often than not got her beat. Monica and Classy proved to be a perfect pairing.
The horseracing industry is a challenging business at every level, and for everyone. But women face a few more obstacles along the way to success. But as both Rosie and I prove, if you want something bad enough, don't set your sights low. You can succeed in any segment of the horse industry, despite what others may say to the contrary.
I envy you your trip to Churchill Downs, and believe me when I say you are going to get more out of it than just a great day, the sheer magnitude of the event will stay with you…it certainly did for me.
Take care,
Shelley Riley