Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fan Mail and H.R.H. Prince Ahmed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz


July 19, 2012                                Fan Mail and a Prince
Dear Reader,
As the first and only woman to train and race a horse through all three legs of the American Thoroughbred Triple Crown, I received a lot of mail from people all over the world. Including the following letter from H.R.H. Prince Ahmed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz, who owned Lear Fan the sire of my horse Casual Lies.
May 11, 1992
Dear Mrs. Riley,
When I bought Lear Fan as a yearling in 1982, I had a premonition that he would do well. Many other horses were bought and sold but never with the same conviction.
When he first stood at Gainesway Farm and I visited him, the same vibes came across, notwithstanding the decline in the equine industry as a whole and the prophets of doom decrying his potential.
Since I retained a majority shareholding in the syndicate, I have followed the progress of his progeny with a keen interest, albeit remotely. The story of Casual Lies has been quoted as a fairy tale, Cinderella reborn, etc. I did not share that view. I felt history was about to repeat itself since he appeared to be a chip off the old block. I happened to be in the U.S. on one of my too infrequent visits this year, and I watched the race with a positive attitude.
Permit me to congratulate you on your success with him so far and wish you even more for the rest of the season. By copy of this letter I am asking Pat Payne, the Sales Director at Gainesway Farm, to give Lear Fan an extra carrot, two more sugar lumps and a pat on the shoulder for a job well done.
I am uncertain whether I shall still be in the U.S. on May 16th, but wherever fate happens to take me, I promise you my voice will be nearly as hoarse (!) as yours at the Preakness.
Every best wishes,
H.R.H. Prince Ahmed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz
I delighted in reading the mail I received from fans both in and out of racing. I certainly had not expected to get any, let alone a letter from a Prince.  At the time, along with other criticisms from various sources, I had been accused of treating Casual Lies like a big pet. So it was charming to find this Saudi Arabian Prince enjoyed feeding carrots and sugar cubes to his horses as well. Although I must admit, the treats I gave my horses were carrots, apples or an extra handful of grain. Sugar only entered their daily rations in the form of blackstrap molasses.
Take care,
Shelley Riley

No comments: